Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bye-Bye Zen

So, I've been running Zen for about the past year or so. By Zen I mean I just go out and do it. I don't time it, record the distance, monitor HR, pay attention to the weather (too much), ignore pace etc. I just try to let the run come to me, seek a flow and go. Well, it's time to say bye-bye to my Zen running experiment. I've got a bunch of double-digit-distance races coming up and a 10K in two weeks (less actually), and I need to train and I need to pay attention to distance and pace and HR and track my progress. I'm going to get my watch up and running again, I'm going to pay more attention to the weather (my legs froze this AM without a sufficient base-layer on and it was miserable), and while I'm going to look for the flow and let the runs come to me I'm going to buckle down a bit harder, work harder at running and being fit and bending my schedule to the run. There is a relentless logic to training -- the more you do the better you get the easier it becomes to train the more you can train the better you get and on, and on, and on. I dragged my sorry butt out of bed at 6:20, and was on the road by 6:30. It was cold and dark, but it felt good to be moving and good to know that whatever today brings, it won't make me miss my run. It's time get type-A about this thing. I'll be on the road tomorrow at 6:30 AM again. See you then.

2 comments:

Phatrunner said...

Nice. I don't necessarily think you have to be type A, but I think the Zen of any exercise is simply the flow you develop as you do more of it. I suppose it is like being in the zone when playing a sport. You need to work at it to get there, but once you arrive, all the effort becomes your own full fledged flow.

Sorry that sounds a bit corny, but I think it holds true.
Now stand back as I draw my light saber and teach you about the force.....

Steve DiMattia said...

you sound determined. nice. get out tomorrow with some long-johns on.