Monday, March 16, 2009

Call Me Ishmael

Once upon a time in America New Bedford was one of the wealthiest cities in the country owing its riches to the whale ships that set out and then the fishing industry. Whaling is no more in this country and the fishing industry in the North East is more than moribund (New Bedford once had that largest commercial fishing fleet in the US, into the 70s). This leaves New Bedford, or Noo Beffid, or Noo Bedfid depending on local accent in a rather precarious state. It's gritty and run down nowadays and was even in the days of Melville -- the opening chapter of Moby Dick contains a pretty memorable description of the NB waterfront that still fits today, though the major import into NB these days is heroin etc.

Anyway, in an effort to boost civic pride and bring visitors to NB they hold a big half marathon each year that draws a good field, one month prior to Boston. There were lots of fit runners and the field was quick. It was a fun race and I really enjoyed the distance (my first half) and seeing VTR and Mrs. VTR was great. It was nice to know there was a friend in the field. I felt good coming into this. VTR noticed I was in thee zone based on my expression, though I didn't even realize I had the game face on -- a good sign.

Prior to the start I was calm and collected and I felt a good energy inside of me. I really intended this to be a training run, knock off a bunch of 9s and see what I had in the last couple. Well, I covered the 10K in about 50, not blazing but not bad. Seven rolled around in 58 and change and 8 came up in 66-7. I crossed 10 in 83, the fastest 10 of my life and I knew the New Bedford Half was going to be a special run. I burned the final 5K in 24 minutes and change -- a nice 5K for me on any day. My time as I crossed the finish line was 1:47 and change. My goal had been 1:57, so I was pumped.

The bummer was there were no start line time mats so my time was gun time. I've not been timing my runs since December so I my splits are what I remember as I ran by the mile markers. I ran with Dick and Rick Hoyt from about miles 3-5. Dick and Rick are legends and as I passed them up the first big hill at mile 3 I told him "it's an honor to be on the course with you, sir." He smoked me on 4-5 and I passed him again around 6 -- Dick was laboring a bit. Miles 7-9 were sort of brutal behind the breakwater, but also exposed to a stiff onshore breeze from 8-9. I was trying to follow VTR's advice and run with a pack but I couldn't stay with a group. Cool thing from this part: giant storm surge doors behind the breakwater. Mile 12 was almost all uphill and it was a grind. I'd been running with this woman in her mid-late-twenties for most of the race. She made a move at the halfway, I caught her again passed her at 10 and then she smoked me up the 12 mile hill. I congratulated her on her kick and she seemed pleased.

I had a great time. I was strong and in the zone and I enjoyed that (the wheels never fell off the wagon, though I was wondering if they would). They need mats at the start. New Bedford is far from scenic, but I'll go back next year and do it again. I've also completed my race for March and I'm now a quarter of the way though my race/month goal in 2009.

2 comments:

VT Runner said...

Congrats AG. You were totally in the zone in a calm, but intense kind of way. Funny to me that you didn't even know you were in it. I guess that's what it's like when you're really in it.

Great run, and great post. Glad you're back...on-line, that is.

Steve DiMattia said...

Awesome post, sounds like it was an awesome run. Great for you!