Monday, May 10, 2010

Twenty in the Rain

VTR and I got it together, judged the weather maps sort of correctly, and made the bold call to go running on a day of unsettled weather. We did the course that I did with David -- my town to the Hatch Shell in about 3 hours with frequent stretch stops and one potty break at a Dunkin Donuts across from BC.

VTR called me at about 555 AM and we looked at weather maps together and figured we'd get in some miles and see what happened. We made bascically the right call. The first 8.5 miles were dry the next 11.5+ were slightly less dry. The thunder and lightening mostly held off though at about mile 18.5 a huge bolt of lightening across the Charles helped us to pick it up and get rolling and bring it home strong.

I felt pretty good until about mile 15. The misery continued until about 18 and then it sort of receded and I battled through. I did better this time overall though than I did with David and felt OK, though let's face, there was much suffering in the last quarter. A big quad cramp right above my knee brought me up real short, but we fought through and VTR totally helped me with some smack talk.

A woman passed us in Wellesley and we were like, oh, she's just doing a 5er, though she had on a fuel belt and was moving briskly. We saw her again in front of the Harvard Boat House and she was heading in the direction we'd just come -- she was doing some sort of a loop and was looking fresh as a daisy. I applauded her and we cheered and she smiled at us and powered on. It gave us both an adrenaline boost that was sadly too short lived.

I had no real issues on the Newton hills this time and actually sort of enjoyed them. I really think that my issue on this run comes from the long down hill that starts at BC and goes to the river -- my legs just don't like the down. All in all it was a good run, I know more about myself than I did before, and we were hard core, because the weather was hard core. It was pouring out for more than the last half and my feet were soaked from about 10 on (no blisters though!) and we were drenched. In addition to the woman on the mega loop, I'd say we passed about 10-12 other runners all day, and you could judge training distance based on wetness. We and some other guys were soaked, and we'd been out a long time. It was hilarious. When I say it was raining it was really raining, and when it was pouring, I mean pouring like out of a huge bucket. It was downright impressive.

No, I'm not much of a mantra guy, they tend to make me a bit nutty, sometimes, though I do like "easy, smooth, light, fast." VTR had the best saying, and I'm fairly sure that my second wind came back when he said it: "We were made to do this. We were made to do this." Loved it and I could relate to it. Simple, to the point, and really starts to hit at the heart of what this is all about: being human.

We had a blast, we had a great talk, we had a great run. I felt good Sunday and Monday, only minor soreness (stretching breaks were huge helps). I'm definitely heading out Tuesday -- the short runs are so key on so many levels and they've been missing from my life this month and I've been the worse for it. I'm stoked for Vermont City, I'm in, I'm enthusiastic and rearing to go!

3 comments:

Torn Ligaments said...

Yes Ted! Great work. Three 20's under your belt is solid. Use these as psychological boosts come race day. You did the work. Didn't take short cuts. VT City is yours to conquer!

VT Runner said...

I second that. Three 20's is impressive. Can't take that away from you. You're ready.

Agricola said...

Thanks guys. Looking forward to it.