Sunday, May 23, 2010

Kittery 5K Road Race

So today was the Kittery 5K road race and kids fun run - the little ligaments were eager to participate, and despite battling a sinus infection, I gave it a whirl. The kids had a blast, as they each ran in their respective age groups about 300-400 yards or so. But our budding olympian had a meltdown of epic proportions when he found out he couldn't run in the 5k with me so Mrs. Torn Ligs buckled them up and left the race as soon as the horn sounded.

I was feeling miserable but haven't run since last Sunday's 26.2. I was jonesing for some endorphins, and get really uber-edgy when I don't get my runs in so sinus infection be damned. Let's just say GU and antihistimines aren't the way to prep for a race, but whatever. I needed this morning's run. My goal was 22:00.

About 300 runners went off at the start, and immediately I realized running under the weather wasn't a great idea. I didn't break away from a cluster of runners until about the 1/2 mi mark, and passed mile 1 at 6:52 so actually quite surprised at that. By the halfway point I was pushing hard and so dehydrated I was literally foaming at the mouth like a rabid animal. The antihistimines dry you out so much and it's virtually impossible to rehydrate fast enough when pushing your body like that. I just didn't have the fuel.

Once again I miscalulated where the finish was - I thought it looped around the fire station but was wrong so I began my final sprint much, much later than I normally would have. I passed five runners who I trailed the entire race right with my final kick, but was slightly frustrated because I had to slam on the brakes as a wall of three runners finished in a side-by-side-by-side stagger so I couldn't roar through the finish line. I did all I could from slamming into them, so I clearly lost time at the end.

39 DAVID COSTANTINI 39 M KITTERY ME 22:37 7:17

So 39th out of 291 isn't bad all things considered, but I know I can do better. I chowed down a banana and a few orange wedges and then ran 2 miles home.

VT and Agricola I - have a GREAT race next week! May the wind be at your back and the beer ice cold at the finish.

1 comment:

Dan Hale said...

Great job and thanks for coming!

Dan Hale
Race Director, Kittery Fire Association 5K
www.kittery5k.com