Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sugarloaf Marathon

So today I ran in the Sugarloaf Marathon in Carrabassett Valley, ME. I drove up yesterday with Cheryl and S in the Volvo and my Dad chauffered N in his car. Not bad, about 3hrs total driving.

We stayed in a condo just minutes from the base lodge where I received my packet - 41 was my bib and clearly was based upon when I registered back in January, a good 30 lbs heavier I might add. We drove the course after a linguine dinner and it was just as I expected-a two lane highway (Rt. 27) and the start was in Eustis at Cathedral Pines campground, and the entire race was run on that road. The 1st 5 miles were flat, 5-12 rolling hills with a rough one at 7 that must have been a mile in duration, another steep one at 10, then flat through 17 until the hills began again until about mile 24 or so.

The vibe was positive the entire time - my Dad dropped me off at the lodge @ 5:20am for some complimentary Starubucks coffee while I waited for the shuttle to take the rnners to the start. Lots of first time runners interspersed among 10 and 15 time veterans, and they imparted some helpful advice.

My strategy was simple - easy and conservative for the 1st 13 miles so I didn't expend too much energy on the early hills, and then at run the second 13 like it was a brand new race, this one a half marathon. I'd run the back half the way I'd run a ten miler - forget times and just try to catch up to and pass as many people ahead of me as possible to keep a constant sense of urgency. Goal: 3:45.

A local sherriff blasted a .12 gauge and we were off. Perfect weather, perhaps 50 degrees at the start and beautiful blue skies. I was jacked up but really tried to take it easy early on and my first mile was 7:45. I dialed it back even more for the next few miles into the 8:15 range, gave my zip and gloves to Cheryl, and 5 mile mark was around 41 and change.

The hills 5-12 were long but I kept my eyes on the white line as not to become daunted by the ascent, and it really just seemed like a 7 mile upward trudge. Took off my shirt at the beginning for the hills, and the sun felt great. Mile 10 time was 1:26 and change, so basically an 8:40 min mile to that point.

The downhill descent after the last hill was long and fast, and I tried to keep things in check as not to blow out my quads. Once I got to the bottom near the mile 13 marker my second race began, and that is where the fun really began. I just kept telling myself "Nobody ahead of me is as mentally tough as I am" over and over again and as I started overtaking runners the more I believed it.

Cheryl, my Dad and the kids met me every 3 miles or so, but after I passed them around mile 16.5 or so I didn't see them until 22 because Cheryl helped a runner who collapsed and was completely incoherent. She wasn't sure what to do, and was going to drive him to the finish but then just pulled over as he puked his guts out. He could barely speak his name so she just called 911 and they talked her through until the ambulance arrived. Scary stuff.

The hils picked up again at mile 17 and were rolling through 24 - I'd charge downhill and then steam uphill for that stretch. I'm pleased to say only 2 runners passed me from mile 13 through mile 25.

MILE 25 - that is the first time I honestly, truly felt fatigued. I was still strong at 24, but 25 was rough. I lost my 'mental toughness' for a patch and just battled to maintain my composure. I did regain myself but not after about 7-8 runners passed me. When I hit mile 26, I sprinted - sprinted! - the final .2 with such crisp, upright form I felt like Usain Bolt. How ironic that my second wind hit me with .2 left. I had more in the tank, but being my first 26.2, I wanted to make sure I played it smart because the last six was uncharted territory. Final time: 3:39:19.

Finished 110th out of 339 runners, and 15 out of 26 in the 35-39 age category. So overall, I am pleased with my effort and performance. I've been running consistently for about six months now, in some cases in excess of 50 miles/week, and haven't had any blisters/black toes at all - but today I do have a nickel-sized blister on each foot in between my big toe and the ball of my foot. It's a very awkward place because it's not an impact spot, maybe from running downhill?

I would love to do the 100 on 100 - if it does not materialize I do plan on running a marathon late Aug/early Sept to get one more under my belt before NY in November, but the relay in VT sounds incredible so count me in.

2 comments:

VT Runner said...

Congratulations! It sounds like you ran the perfect race. I'm impressed. In my first marathon, I had no plan and went out way too fast. I figured, "Who knows what could happen, so I'll just put as much time in the bank now." Yeah. That didn't work as I crashed hard after mile 20.

Good for you to have the foresite to plan ahead, and the toughness to stick to it. I'm pysched for you.

I'm holding off on the VT100 right now. My sister-in-law might be in town with new twins that weekend. Does that race fill early?

Torn Ligaments said...

Thanks, I'm delighted with the way it all worked out. I learned about the 100 race the way I learn about most things running - via Villa. It's 16 mi per leg per runner so I'm still planning an early fall marathon regardless, quite possibly Toronto on 9/26 as registration is still open. I'll need a 20 that week in prep for NY so why not get a taste of a big city marathon beforehand? It's supposed to be a great race.