Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Starting Over

I finally hit the roads this AM for the first time since the CCM Relay. I did a short jaunt, 3.3 miles in 27:17. It didn't feel great, but it wasn't bad either. Ten days off definitely impacted the wind, but it will come back soon, I'm sure.

It was nice to get out early and have it be light -- I always seem to lose momentum in late October and early November when it's dark in the mornings. It will be nice for a couple of weeks to be running in light and then it will be dark in the mornings as we approach the Solstice so I'm girding myself for that. The sky was crystal clear and everything was covered in frost. Because yesterday was so wet, roofs, and fields (I run by the athletic fields of a local prep school and a community golf course)appeared to be covered in snow. It was magical.

Glad to be back at it, I'll go again on Friday. I need to work up to my goal of doing 20 miles by January which I might clarify a bit: during January I want my weekly mileage to be 20 miles/week and maintain that for the entire month before I start training in February for the VT marathon. Since that marathon is at the end of May beginning training in February would put me on a 16 week training cycle.

2 comments:

VT Runner said...

Great post. I'm actually digging this time of year. After an amazing Sept/Oct weatherwise, it's nice to finally be transitioning into winter. There is snow on top of Mt. Mansfield, and everyone here is starting to jones for snowboarding. I caught a whiff of that winter, pre-snow smell in the air last night, and it was awesome. Not sure how the weather will impact running, but I'm planning to get out there this weekend at least once.

Agricola said...

We were in NH last weekend and it snowed Saturday on Mt. Washington -- the mountains were all pretty, and dusted to a very distinct elevaation. It was beautiful.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's above -3 F or above, I'll have a go at a run -- once the old thermometer hits -4 F and below, I'm not going anywhere. Also, it's really only about 5 weeks of really dark mornings from early December until mid-January which is really no more than 12-15 pre-work jaunts . . . winter, bring it on!