Thursday, November 1, 2007

Burton 5K

So, this week is our annual fundraising drive for Chill, Burton's non-profit program that puts kids who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity onto snowboards at resorts nationwide. We do all sorts of events, like a ping-pong tourney, the boot mile (a mile race in snowboard boots), bake sale, and the above mentioned 5K. Unfortunately for me, the 5K was on Tuesday, two days after the Cape Cod Marathon.

A buddy of mine runs the event, so I participated again this year despite some "tightness" (aka pain) in my calf region. The plan was to run a leisurely pace to work out the leftover kinks from the marathon. Unfortunately, the guy who beat me by a nose last year went out at a killer pace just behind the lead pack, and I had to follow. I actually felt pretty good, and my mantra, "I can do anything" (...after running 26.2), served me well.

I didn't reel the guy in, but I posted a solid time of 21:10 that was good for fourth place overall. It was a fun event that was for a good cause. It was also a nice change of pace from the distance running of the past few months. Plus, my legs felt much better the next day. Bonus.

Later boys.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Nice.

The guy took advantage of you.

Next year!