Sunday, April 5, 2009

Good Weekend

We had a great weekend on the Cape this weekend with the VTRs and Mrs. FA and her kids (Mr. FA, we missed you). I ran 8 on Saturday, 5 with VTR and 3 with Mrs. FA. IT was great to have someone to talk to. Near the end with VTR we were both sort of working and I looked at him and said, "you're doing great, this is much quicker than I thought we'd run." He looked at me and says, "I was picking it up to stay up with you . . ." funny. I enjoyed running with Mrs. FA too, she set the pace, we had a great conversation about running work and the usual stuff, and got in a nice run.

I took Children 1 & 2 out today and we had fun on a fairly short run, in the neighborhood of 3 miles. We played a game avoiding "traps" -- manhole covers and sewer grates that either popped your tire, grabbed your leg or arm or spewed sparks (water valve covers). I'd pretend not to see them and both kids would be yelling "TRAPS!" I'd swerve the whole stroller at the last second and they'd be swerving with it all tossed around in the cabin. We had a blast. It was a gorgeous evening of golden sun and brilliant blue skies. C1 said, "it looks like early morning but it's not. . ." so observant. We saw a couple of big cotton tail rabbits, loads of Grackles and a couple of big Northern Flickers.

I got in five on my birthday (Wednesday) with C3. I felt good much better than my 3/29 run. I'm rediscovering my mojo. VTR gave me a big pep talk this weekend and it was good, thanks. I'm knocking down the wall one brick at a time as that HS rower mentioned -- great comment PR.

A tangential thing: we saw a bunch of birds this weekend that looked loonish, but I think that they were Brants, a small to medium sized goose. According to The Sibley Guide to Birds they winter here and summer up in Hudson Bay/the arctic circle.

1 comment:

VT Runner said...

Thanks for a great weekend. The run was awesome, as was just hanging out and catching up.