Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Two Races

I ran the NYRR Healthy Kidney 10k on Saturday. It was great. I went alone, and ran alone, ignored the crowds and the fanfare, talked to myself the whole way, controlled my pace through the hills, and ran a surprisingly consistent race. I hit the mile markers at precise 10 minute intervals. When I reached the five mile mark in exactly 50 minutes I thought, I've done it, the race is over. So I put the pedal down and ran my fastest split in the last mile. I did not run that much the four weeks leading to this race and didn't think I was in great shape for it, and I am now utterly convinced that the right mental approach to a race has a material impact on performance. My time was 1.01.29; the first half time was 31.14.

Last night was the American Heart Assoc Wall Street 5k run, and I ran with a colleague. Due to construction on a portion of the course the distance was actually 3 miles, even. The race started at the World Trade Center site and did a clockwise loop around lower Manhattan, finishing at the World Financial Center. The last mile was beautiful, 65 degrees, along the Hudson, The Statue of Liberty on my right. I ran it in 28.33. I felt that I could have run it faster, and blame the narrow streets downtown and SUPER crowded field. The first mile was wicked slow.

My colleague is a former big-time collegiate track and field athlete. She ran the three mile course in 21.08, and was disapointed.

So, lots of running this last few days. Planning to head out tomorrow and maybe this weekend, but hoping to get some cycling in soon, as a change of pace.

Peace, fellas.

No comments: