Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Skate Skiing

We spent yesterday (Christmas) afternoon at the VTRunner-in-laws, where I had the chance to get in a little exercise. As we've all seen on the blog lately, exercise events have been sparse, so I was glad to finally get out.

Mr. VTR-in-law keeps an amazing skate-skiing track around the field at his place, and I had yet to get in a skate this year. After a big breakfast, light lunch, and mid-day nap, I figured the time was right to hit it. I strapped on the skis and immediately struggled to find a skating rhythm. I felt like a baby moose on a frozen pond -- legs and arms everywhere, long poles flying, totally uncoordinated. Once I got my legs under me I took off (relatively speaking). One lap turned to four, which turned to eight, 12, 15 and finally 20. At each potential stopping point, I stood at the top of the field and couldn't think of a good reason to quit. The sun was setting, and the scene was perfectly quiet and calming. Even better, my lungs and legs felt great. Skate skiing can be a tough sport, both cardiovascularly and technically, but I felt like I could go forever. As demanding as it can be, it's also very rhythmic, like swimming, and can lull you into a meditative zone. At one point, I found myself thinking about the upcoming Burlington marathon. I was chanting something like, "3:15, where do you want to be?" with each stride. 3:15 is my stretch goal time for the Burlington marathon, and it was awesome to feel inspired enough to start visualizing the race. I felt strong, clear-headed and invigorated. At lap 20, I stopped because I knew cocktails and hors-d'oevres were waiting inside, not because I was couldn't go on.

I mention this as a reminder that the work we've put in over the year doesn't just disappear because we're taking a collective break to catch our breath and recharge. Sure, we might have to brush off a bit of rust, but the base of fitness is still there. I was completely surprised and encouraged by my skiing session. I'm looking forward to jumping back into the LDT life.

Hope you all had a merry Christmas. Happy new year!

3 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

This sounds llike fun, but you will have to explain skate-skiing to me. Sounds like somthing not quite like cross-country skiing, or speed skating, but a hybrid?

Agricola said...

Nice post.

That sounds like a nice way to spend some time on CHristmas day.

I didn't get in my run with my brother -- he stubbed and busted his toe over the weekend! Foot injuries abound. If the weather has dried a bit I might try and get in a slow trot this afternoon. The ankle has been sore -- We were sledding on the Quarter Acre Snowbowl this past weekend and up and down the steep little hill (in snowshoes and out to tend the little trails) beat the ankle pretty good -- then wearing dress shoes actually did it no faors. My ankle is not prepped for running but my mind is (it just needs to convince my carb filled lazy body that it really wants to do it). I was thinking about 3:30 as my stretch, though 4:00 is more likely . . .

Happy New Year!

PS, FA: Skate skiing is cross country skiing with a hockey like sideward stride as opposed to the back and forth of the Classic Nordic stride.

Unknown said...

ok - so i am told that i am what's called "a lurker." i have been attempting some workouts of my own and contemplated posting or commenting from time to time. instead i have peeked into the blog for kicks here and there and - alas, i have blissfully remained a lurker -- up until now.

i've got to say that any and all references to skate skiing gets my adrenaline going. so psyched for you that you had a nice christmas afternoon skate, VTR, and i can picture the day from bfast to cocktails at VTR-IL estate. i have for lo these many years coveted a spin around the skate track up there.

we are somewhat house bound and limited from winter sport this year with agricola's ankle injury, but hope to be out there next year teaching the kids all about skiing and skating and winter wonderland. child one starts skating lessons this week, in fact. and the thought of getting out there to skate is super invigorating.

anyway - this is it for me - back to the occasional lurk. happy new year to all of you. congrats on making a success of this little blogging experiment. i think its super cool that you've all encouraged, supported, and trash talked each other to higher levels of fitness.

hope to see you guys soon.