Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Run with Spouse

January was a tough month. Work and the weather were obstacles for me. I even dragged my gear around Germany for week, hoping to run in Hamburg and Berlin, but the same forces of work and weather kept me mostly at my desk. (Weather was the bigger problem in Germany, actually. There's been a lot of snow and ice there...apparently this is unusual, and the Germans don't clear sidewalks. Both cities were COVERED in ice. In fact, I slipped and smacked my head pretty good on my way to a dinner. Bad business.) So altogether I had only four runs in January, a far cry fro the 40 miles I'd announced as my goal for the month, on this blog.

So that's my update, as I've been an infrequent visitor. With a 15k galloping toward me (March 28) I am feeling some positive pressure to get back on the stick. (Funny how the Olympics are inspring. I love the Olympics, but watched my first few hours of coverage last night...snowboard cross and some luge, men's skating.)

So Mrs. FA and I got out together this morning for about 3.5 miles in the Park. It's a beautiful morning in NYC. The sky is a slate blue, and the Park is covered in crusty snow from last night's storm. The footing was tough but kind of fun, shifting from some slick blacktop to the snow-covered Res loop to crushed ice and salt.

More later, fellas. Peace.

3 comments:

Agricola said...

how's the noggin? it's been a tough winter.

Steve DiMattia said...

It certainly has been a tough winter. I feel badly for Mrs. FA, who's been slogging through the tough training schedule she's set for herself for the NYC 1/2. She's really not enjoying the training, but is grimly determined not to fall behind. And where I had promised to run with her for support, I've totally slacked, per my post.

The noggin is fine, thanks. I had a nasty bruise and some tenderness for a few days, but otherwise I was okay, no headaches, dizziness, etc. I was at a conference of surgeons, a few of the Americans I know personally, so I wasn't TOO worried. Still it was frightening at the time. More later.

Agricola said...

I hear about training woes. I think this year is my last spring marathon... winter training is awful.