Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Need Some Advice

So during the ADK 1/2 marathon I developed what I think is a cramp. It's in the arch of my right foot. It hung around painfully for a few days and then tapered off with stretching and rest. Still, every so often when I took a half step on my right foot it came back with a twinge.

The cramp came and went during my first run since the race, on Sunday, but as I posted I stopped 3x to stretch, so managed to keep it at bay.

So today was the first since the race that the foot went all day without the return of the cramp. (I had to wear a suit to work today, so had on dress shoes, too.) I felt fine all day until I got home and suited up for a run. I laced up my sneakers in the bedroom, and during the four second walk down the hall to the door, the cramp returned! Anyway, I bagged the run until I figure this out.

So far my conclusion is, I need new shoes. Any other thoughts on this?

Thaks, fellas.

2 comments:

Torn Ligaments said...

I was reading your post and the first thing that came to my mind was new kicks with better arch support - then I read your last line. Perhaps a good place to start?

Also I occasionally get a twinge in my right arch at Taekwondo every few weeks or so. Never the left, always the right. I don't know why - it's very odd. I usually get it when I am in a hurdler's stretch (barefoot) for 15-30 seconds, but then it always goes away. It's the only place I ever get them. The only reasonable link I can make is that I don't hydrate enough on those days?

Steve DiMattia said...

Well, Mrs. FA has trouble on her left side when she runs, never her right. We've concluded that her legs are of asymetetric lenghts. She's going to get orthodics for her running sneakers. You may have some minor asymetry or other biomechanical weirdness that causes your cramp. Funny that it wouldn't appear when running, tho.

I am going to get new shoes next week. Will update. Thanks.