Sunday, October 3, 2010

Leaf Peepers Half Marathon

Today was an experiment in running without training. Like FA, I have not been motivated at all lately. Ok, more than lately. I really haven't run since my painful Vermont City Marathon. No big deal really, and I do believe that running breaks are important to stay interested in the sport -- my only issue is that I signed up for the Leaf Peepers Half Marathon, which was today in my hometown.

Despite not training, I was determined not to crash. I diligently ate every 20 minutes, drank plenty of Gatorade, and went out slow. Since it's local, it's a very social race, and I also wanted to have fun. At the end of the day, I accomplished my goals. I didn't bonk, finished strong, and enjoyed seeing friends. Oh, and no injuries -- that's a big one. I came in at 2:06, which is somewhere around a 9:30 pace. Just fine with me.

I won't say I'm back, but I'm intrigued. It was a good day.

Later boys.

4 comments:

Torn Ligaments said...

Nice! Great to see you back out there. This is the best time of year to run in my opinion. I'm doing VT City next year if you are interested, then finishing up my 12 in 12 with the VT 50 next Sept.

Steve DiMattia said...

Nice job, nice post. Thank you.

VT Runner said...

I"m sure I'll end up doing the VT City, although I'm not ready to commit yet. That will come when the time's right...always does.

Agricola said...

Good work. I'd never do what you did. I admire that. Maybe I should try it.
I've gotten in some runs with a colleague, and he's fast, we go on these burner runs along the River... Im not really in shape for the 730s I thnk we're doing but I suck it up and try to hang tough.