Sunday, September 13, 2009

10 Miler

Well, 9.4 miles anyway, according to MapMyRun. I started at Columbus Circle and headed onto the Park Drive with traffic, counter-clockwise. After about 3.5 miles I approached my apartment and took a pit stop for water, the bathroom, and to drop off my cap, into which I was sweating heavily as it prevented my body from ventilating. I got back out on the Park Drive after about 10 minutes and had a rough 4 miles, slowing to a crawl at some points just to keep moving. But the last two miles were inspired. I found a guy running just a short distance ahead and stayed with him from the Met back to the Great Hill, where I turned for home. It was a real grind of a workout -- start to finish, with pit stop and crawling, nearly two hours end-to-end. Nipples are raw. (Agricola, I picked up some BodyGlide for the race.) I'm feeling fairly well worn this morning but pretty confident about next Sunday.

Given the flat course for the first eight miles, I am aiming to maintain a steady 10 minute mile pace for that distance to keep some gas in the tank for the long climbs and sharp drops in the last 5 miles.

I am planning to run 35 to 45 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday this week, then sit tight for the race. More later.

3 comments:

Agricola said...

Nice job. It got humid yesterday, so way to grind it out. Yes, raw nipples un-fun. Boy Glide will seriously change your life. It made running much more pleasant and not having bleed through shirts and shells (which I've done) is wonderful.

A word of advice on this week. I think it's great that you will do a couple, but I'd actually just go out for a couple of 30s to keep the fitness level up. keep them slow and mellow. Just keep it moving, keep limber and keep the heart and lungs peaked -- it will be great. Adrenaline on race day will help to carry you -- that's a big thing about workouts vs races/events. It's often hard to get the adrenaline kick for a sunday AM grinder by yourself. It will be great.

Agricola said...

body glide, not boy glide . . . oops.

Steve DiMattia said...

Some boy glide would seriously change my life, indeed.